See where Dietitians Explore! has travelled and read about the adventures they’ve had!
Budapest is considered to be one of the food capitals of the world and one of the top cities to visit in Central Europe. Architecture with baroque, neoclassical, eclectic and art nouveau influence provided the perfect landscape in which to enjoy the bustling food market and sophisticated cuisine. Budapest was the destination for a food lover and aspiring dietitian!
The week-long program in Budapest was dynamic and engaging. Here are some highlights:
- Orientation to the dietetic profession in Hungary and key public health issues, visit to HDA head quarters
- Visit and tour of The National Institute for Food and Nutrition Science (NIFNS) including labs for testing genetic material, gluten, fats, water-soluble vitamins
- Job-shadow of body composition analysis, nutritional screening and nutritional counseling with the E3 Energy Balance Program
- Visit and tour of Semmelweis University, including student food labs and introduction to food and nutrition computer software Quadro Byte and Nutricomp
Participants had the opportunity to explore the great, historic city of Budapest, Hungary. Here are some of the city’s highlights:
- Visit to “The Great Market Hall” or “Nagycsarnok”; Budapest’s largest and oldest indoor market – accompanied by Hungarian RD
- St. Stephen’s Day holiday festivities – national breads and cakes, live music and dancing, fireworks over the Danube river
- Exploring the Buda Castle area
Would you like to know where we’re going next? Join our mailing list
Words from our participants:
I enjoyed exploring a new city and trying different kinds of Hungarian food. The highlight of this trip for me was exploring the Great Market Hall and learning more about the ways that Hungarians cook.
Despite the vast amount of nutrition-related knowledge I gained overseas, learning about the European culture, lifestyle and communication was truly an amazing thing to experience. Trying new foods everyday and dining amongst the heart of Budapest with girls who share the same interests as you made the trip awesome as well!